11 January 2012

The Failed Retreat, 3-8 January 2012

This blog began at a Failed Retreat, so as I write up this latest in my creative writing adventures I feel as though I've reached an anniversary of sorts. I'm actually quite surprised I've managed to keep writing it for so long.

The Failed Retreats are a termly activity organised by the wonderful Failed Novelists. I think this is the fifth retreat I have attended, but I have no idea if I'm honest.

To date, the most exotic location for the retreat was a log cabin in the Transylvanian mountains. On this occasion, most of the writing was done on extremely long train journeys across Romania, but a great time was had by all.

This time around the retreat was hosted in a cottage in borderline-rural Wales. On my train journey across the UK, I did a humongous amount of feedback for other people's projects, so I was more than ready to get stuck in when writing time began. I also was lucky enough to have planned what I was going to write, which always helps.

Here is a summary of the creative projects which were worked on during the retreat. See if you can guess which projects belong to me, and which to the other three attendees.
  1. A television drama in three episodes based on the Epic of Gilgamesh. Starring Hugh Grant as Gilgamesh.
  2. A feature-length film based on the Epic of Gilgamesh. As yet uncasted.
  3. A novel set on the Steppe in 1200 AD. Think tribes and wild camels.
  4. A series of poems about STDs.
  5. A stage play about colonialists stranded on a tropical island. The colonialists kill a Sacred Beast (blatantly a cat) and it's all downhill from there.
  6. A short story about a matchmaking octopus.
  7. An ancient near-Eastern historical tragedy in blank verse, incorporating authentic Akkadian prophesies.
Highlight to reveal the answer: Projects 1, 4 and 6 are all mine.

"How about this one?" (Image Source.)

No comments:

Post a Comment